EXTRA VIRGIN OLIVE OIL P.D.O. (PROTECTED DESTINATION OF ORIGIN KOLYMBARI CHANIA CRETE
You should know that: in Greece there are only 14 designated PDO names given to olive oil and 8 of them are in Crete.
The location of its production is only one of many very important conditions to be met prior to its declaration as a P.O.D. produce. These conditions are:
(1) to use solely eco-fertilizer aiding the growth and development of the tree,
(2) to cultivate the soil by use of mechanical means without any use of chemicals,
(3) to have the factory of production certified by the European Union,
(4) to have the olives sent for processing within 3 days of picking,
(5) to use only stainless steel machinery during the process of the extraction,
(6) the temperature of the water that is mixed with the pulp should never exceed 27 Celsius, otherwise the vitamins and antioxidants - the very particular characteristics of olive oil - will be destroyed,
(7) all the pipes that the oil is passed through should be made of special material and not plastic (so as to avoid the formation of carcinogenic elements), and
(8) olive oil should be stored only in stainless steel tanks which retain a constant temperature so as not to increase the acidity, the number of various carcinogens and other trans oxidation products.
The Extra Virgin Olive Oil, P.D.O. Kolymvari Crete, is one of the best P.D.O. of its type, with an unparalleled taste and unique aroma. We are proud of all the distinctions we have been awarded in competitions held both in Greece and worldwide.